In accordance with 5 USC 552(a)(2), the following four categories of records (“Reading Room” records) are available without the need for a FOIA request. Only Reading Room records created on or after November 1, 1996, are required to be made available electronically. NHTSA maintains other Reading Room records that can be accessed from the following conventional (paper) Reading Rooms:
DOT Dockets Office, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE, Room W12-140, Washington, D.C. 20590 Hours of Operation: 9-5 ET, Monday through Friday, except Federal holidays. To arrange access, telephone (202) 366-9826 or (800) 647-5527. A computer terminal and printer are available at this location for accessing Electronic Reading Room records.
NHTSA Technical Information Services, Reading Room, 1201 New Jersey Avenue, SE, Room E12-100, Washington, D.C. 20590; Hours of Operation: 9:30-5 ET, Monday through Friday, except Federal holidays. To arrange access, telephone (202) 366-2588. A computer terminal and printer are available at this location for accessing Electronic and Conventional Reading Room records.
1. Final opinions, including concurring and dissenting opinions as well as orders, made in the adjudication of cases.
2. Those statements of policy and interpretations that have been adopted by the Agency and are not published in the Federal Register
- Automated Vehicle Policy
- Guidance on the Value of Life for NHTSA Rulemakings
- Vehicle Importation Guidance
- Vehicle Importation Guidelines (Canadian) (October 2012)
- Vehicle Importation Guidelines (Non-Canadian) (PDF format) (December 2013)
- List of Nonconforming Vehicles Eligible for Importation (November 2013)
- Vehicles Certified by their Original Manufacturer as Complying with All Applicable CMVSS (Excel format) (October 2012)
- How to Import a Motor Vehicle for Show or Display (October 2012)
- Approved/Disapproved Vehicle List (May 2013)
- List of Registered Importers (PDF Format) (December 2013)
- List of Importers whose Registrations have been Suspended or Revoked (PDF format) (December 2013)
- Registered Importer Newsletters
- Traffic Injury Control Statements of Policy
3. Administrative staff manuals and instructions to staff that affect any member of the public.
4. Frequently Requested Records and Information
- NHTSA FOIA Logs: Personal privacy information has been redacted based on FOIA Exemption 6
- Valukas Report on GM (redacted) (119 MB PDF)
- Search Consumer Complaints, Defect Investigations and Safety Recalls
- Download Consumer Complaint, Defect Investigations, TSB summary and Safety Recall databases
- Search Early Warning Reporting database for death and injury, property damage and light vehicle production
- NHTSA Timeliness Query of General Motors' 2014 Recall for Ignition Switches
- Records produced in response to a FOIA request for certain EWR inquires related to GM (Downloadable 848MB Zip file from NHTSA FTP site)
- Records related to a March 29, 2007, GM-NHTSA meeting
- List of NHTSA Credit Card Holders
- Records Relating to NHTSA’s Timeliness Query (TQ10-001) of Toyota’s Recalls for Pedal Entrapment
- Records Relating to NHTSA’s Timeliness Query (TQ10-002) of Toyota’s Recalls for Sticking Accelerator Pedal
- State Highway Safety Plan
- State Highway Annual Accomplishment Reports
- MAP-21 FY 14 Grant Funding Table
- Listing of NHTSA Publications and Reports by DOT-HS Numbers
- Inactive Takata recalls (Updated Dec. 21, 2015)
NOTE: Links in the Active column will open the recall campaign page in Safercar.gov. Links in the Superceded columns will take you to a set of links on the Superceded Recalls Links sheet of the document. This document will be updated when a Takata air bag recall campaign becomes inactive.