In accordance with 5 USC 552(a)(2), the following four categories of records (“Reading Room” records) are available without the need for a FOIA request. Only Reading Room records created on or after November 1, 1996 are required to be made available electronically. NHTSA maintains other Reading Room records that can be accessed from the following conventional (paper) Reading Rooms:
DOT Dockets Office, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE, Room W12-140, Washington, D.C. 20590 Hours of Operation: 9:00-5:00 ET, Monday through Friday, except Federal holidays. To arrange access, telephone (202) 366-9826 or (800) 647-5527. A computer terminal and printer are available at this location for accessing Electronic Reading Room records.
NHTSA Technical Information Services, Reading Room, 1201 New Jersey Avenue, SE, Room E12-100, Washington, D.C. 20590; Hours of Operation: 9:30-5:00 ET, Monday through Friday, except Federal holidays. To arrange access, telephone (202) 366-2588. A computer terminal and printer are available at this location for accessing Electronic and Conventional Reading Room records.
1. Final opinions, including concurring and dissenting opinions as well as orders, made in the adjudication of cases.
2. Those statements of policy and interpretations that have been adopted by the Agency and are not published in the Federal Register
- Interpretation Files
- Administrative Orders
- Guidance on the Value of Life for NHTSA Rulemakings
- Traffic Injury Control Statements of Policy
3. Administrative staff manuals and instructions to staff that affect any member of the public.
4. Frequently Requested Records