NASS was designed in the 1970s, and this 30-year old system needs to be updated to meet the data needs of the transportation community that have increased and significantly changed over the last three decades.
NHTSA has a lot of work ahead in regards to the modernization efforts. Congress was specific in their request and NHTSA is looking into the following items:
- The current sample size is not large enough
- Expand the scope of its data collection to possibly include large trucks, motorcycles, and pedestrians
- Assess the need for more data from the pre-crash, crash, and post-crash phases
- Review the crash data elements to be collected
- Solicit input from interested parties--including suppliers, auto makers, safety advocates, the medical community and research organizations