Enforcement & Justice Services
NHTSA provides national leadership in planning and developing improved driver education, licensing, enforcement, prosecution, judicial, and post-adjudication efforts.
A Call To ActionClick HERE for traffic safety campaign materials.
Improving Driver Behavior and Attitude
- High Visibility Enforcement Toolkit
One of the most effective countermeasures in reducing highway traffic fatalities is creating general deterrence through High Visibility Enforcement (HVE). When the perceived risk of getting caught by law enforcement goes up, the likelihood that people will engage in unsafe driving behaviors goes down. The High Visibility Enforcement Toolkit has been designed to assist law enforcement agencies, communities, and states implement or enhance their HVE efforts. The HVE Toolkit has been created with assistance from a High Visibility Enforcement Panel consisting of field experts effectively implementing HVE in their jurisdiction or community.
- No Refusal Weekend Toolkit
An enforcement strategy that allows officers to obtain search warrants for blood samples from suspected impaired drivers who refuse breath tests.
- Speeding Toolkit
A source of marketing materials, tools, and ideas that can be used in support of your local speed management initiatives.
- Teen Drivers
A multi-tiered strategy to prevent motor vehicle-related deaths and injuries among teen drivers by: increasing seat belt use, implementing graduated driver licensing, and reducing teens' access to alcohol.
- Distracted Driving
Every time someone takes their eyes or their focus off the road, they put their lives and the lives of others in danger. It is unsafe, irresponsible, and in a split second, its consequences can be devastating.
- Aggressive Driving
Aggressive driving has become a serious problem on our roadways. We provide guides, planners and information to law enforcement professionals and prosecutors to assist in the reduction of aggressive driving.
One-Stop Shop for Cops
Where can I find information on ...
- Alcohol - Seat belts - Speeding - Helmets - Teen Drivers - Child seats - Quick, easy access to traffic safety facts
- Traffic Safety Facts 2008 (Annual Report)
- Drug Evaluation and Classification
- Conducting Complete Traffic Stops
- Speed Management Workshop
- Prosecutor Education and Training
- ARIDE - TOPS - DDACTS - Standardized field sobriety training
- Low-staffing sobriety checkpoints
- Saturation patrols & checkpoints
- The Checkpoint Strikeforce Program
- Ignition Interlock Toolkit
- Key Features
- Alcohol Interlock Curriculum for Practitioners
- Drinking and driving ... and Hispanics
- Addressing alcohol-impaired driving
- Reducing alcohol-related driving