Speed management is a national and far-reaching problem that is best solved through collaborative and comprehensive efforts at all levels of government. However, from road design to enforcement the ability to implement policies designed to mitigate speed-related injuries and fatalities rests largely with State and local officials.
To help local officials and community safety advocates like you take control of the speeding management problem, the U.S. Department of Transportation is offering speed management training at locations across the country. In the span of just two days, U.S. DOT Speed Management Workshop attendees will learn how to:
- Evaluate crash data to identify speed-related problem areas;
- Review engineering of roadway segments to determine how to set reasonable speed limits;
- Enforce established speed limits appropriately;
- Develop effective public relations and media campaign strategies; and
- Secure collaboration and cooperation from traffic engineers, law enforcement, public policy makers and the criminal justice system.