Evaluation of the Hybrid III Six-Year-Old Child Dummy
This project evaluated the Hybrid III Six-Year-Old Child Dummy (HIII-6C) for its utility as a federally regulated 59 CFR Part 572 Automotive Test Device. The focus of the evaluation was the response of the dummy to calibration tests, airbag interaction tests, and sled tests including those used to evaluate child restraint systems. Also included in the scope of this project were the evaluation and amendment of the drawing package, and assessment of the calibration procedures and requirements. The favorable test results and documentation developed under this project supported the acceptance of this dummy and other dummies into the CFR Part 572 Family of Anthropometric Test Devices used by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
- Memorandum re: Procedure for Determining the Free Air Resonant Frequency of Probes. NHTSA Docket No. 1999-6714-14, Jan 2001.
- Report "Evaluation of Moment of Inertia of Daimler Chrysler Thoracic Impact Probe," NHTSA Docket No. 1999-6714-12, Oct 2000.
- "Technical Report of the Development and Evaluation of the Hybrid III type Six-Year-Old Child Dummy," NHTSA Docket No. 1998-3972-2, June 1998.
- "Procedures for Assembly, Disassembly, and Inspection (PADI) of the HIII-6C Child Dummy," NHTSA Docket No. 1998-3972-1, Aug 1999.
- "Procedure for Checking Recorded Dummy Sensor Polarity", HIII-6C PADI Appendix A, NHTSA Docket No. 1998-3972-1 Aug 1999.
- "Procedure for Determining the Moment of Inertia of Probes Used for Dummy Calibration Tests," HIII-6C PADI Appendix B, NHTSA Docket No. 1998-3972-1, Aug 1999.
- Saul, R. A., Pritz, H. B., McFadden, J., Backaitis, S. H., Hallenbeck, H., and Rhule, D.; Description and Performance of the Hybrid III 3 Year Old, 6 Year Old, and Small Female Test Dummies in Restraint System and Out-Of-Position Air Bag Environments", Sixteenth International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles (Paper No. 98-S7-O-01). Download this document (PDF, 988 KB)
- Bachaitis, S. H., McFadden, J., "Anthropomorphic Test Dummy; Crash Protection - Advanced 6 Year Old Child Dummy". NHTSA Docket #98-3972-2.
- "Technical Analysis of Issues Report/Hybrid III Type Six-year-old Child Test Dummy," NHTSA Docket No. 1999-6714-2, Jan 2000.