Safety Problems & Issues
This page lists search engines which retrieve information from the available
Database Files from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
Each search engine has a brief description of what it does.
- Vehicle and equipment testing to assure compliance with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS). The compliance database contains testing results from 1994 to the present and is searchable by either FMVSS or Make/Brand, Model and Year.
- The Consumer Complaints Search Engine will allow searches of consumer complaints regarding safety related motor vehicle and motor vehicle equipment by make, model and year. Selection of these three items is mandatory to perform a search. An optional item of Vehicle Component may be selected to help narrow the focus of the search.
- The Investigations Search Engine will allow searches of current and past NHTSA Investigations of vehicles, tires and equipment opened since 1972, by single year, make or model. An optional item of Vehicle Component may be selected to help narrow the focus of the search.
- The Recalls Search Engine will allow searches of the NHTSA Recall Campaigns by single year, make or model. As an option, Vehicle Component may be selected to help narrow the focus of the search.
Technical Service Bulletins
- The Technical Service Bulletins Search Engine will allow searches of summaries of the Manufacturers' Technical Service Bulletins by single year, make and model. An optional item of Vehicle Component may be selected to help narrow the focus of the search. (The data does not contain all the service bulletins generated by a manufacturer. Bulletins for safety recalls in general are not included, and also bulletins which may not pertain to a defect may not be included.)
Database List Document
- Database list and download directory. Flat file copies of NHTSA's databases.
Monthly Defect Investigations
Recall and Quarterly Guide/Form
- Guide for vehicle or equipment manufacturer's to use in filing a Defect or Noncompliance Information Report, and quarterly recall status reports. The forms are available for downloading and can either be used as a model for the report or simply printed, completed and submitted to the agency.
Technical Information Services & Request Form
- A description of information available from Technical Information Services (TIS). A form to request a computer search of TIS's Defect Collection and/or Docket Collection is also provided.
Test Vehicles for Salvage
- Vehicles destructively tested by NHTSA - disposition for salvage only.
Vehicle Owners' Questionnaire (VOQ)
- Form to submit vehicle and equipment problems to NHTSA electronically.