HIGHWAY SAFETY PROGRAM
GUIDELINE No. 2
MOTOR VEHICLE REGISTRATION
Each State should have a motor vehicle registration program.
- A model registration program would be such that every vehicle operated on public highways is registered and the following information is readily available for each vehicle:
- Model year.
- Identification number (rather than motor number).
- Type of body.
- License plate number.
- Name of current owner.
- Current address of owner.
- Registered gross laden weight of every commercial vehicle.
- Each program should have a records system that provides at least the following services:
- Rapid entry of new data into the records or data system.
- Controls to eliminate unnecessary or unreasonable delay in obtaining data.
- Rapid audio or visual response upon receipt at the records station of any priority request for status of vehicle possession authorization.
- Data available for statistical compilation as needed by authorized sources.
- Identification and ownership of vehicle sought for enforcement or other operation needs.
- This program should be periodically evaluated by the State and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration should be provided with an evaluation summary.