1. Williams, A.F. Teenage drivers: patterns of risk. J Safety Res. Jan 2003;34(1):5-15.
2. McKnight, A.J., and Peck, R.C. Graduated driver licensing: what works? Inj Prev. Sep 2002;8 Suppl 2:ii32-36; discussion ii36-38.
3. Shope, J.T., Molnar, L.J., Elliott, M.R., and Waller, P.F. Graduated driver licensing in Michigan: early impact on motor vehicle crashes among 16-year-old drivers. JAMA. Oct 3 2001;286(13):1593-1598.
4. Shope, J.T., and Molnar, L.J. Graduated driver licensing in the United States: evaluation results from the early programs. J Safety Res. Jan 2003;34(1):63-69.
5. Shope, J.T., and Molnar, L.J. Michigan's graduated driver licensing program: evaluation of the first four years. J Safety Res. 2004;35(3):337-344.
6. Foss, R.D., Feaganes, J.R., and Rodgman, E.A. Initial effects of graduated driver licensing on 16-year-old driver crashes in North Carolina. JAMA. Oct 3 2001; 286(13):1588-1592.
7. Cooper, D., Atkins, F., and Gillen, D.. Measuring the impact of passenger restrictions on new teenage drivers. Accid Anal Prev. Jan 2005;37(1):19-23.
8. Hedlund, J., and Compton, R.. Graduated driver licensing research in 2004 and 2005. Accid Anal Prev. 2005;36:108-119.
9. Hedlund, J., and Compton, R.. Graduated driver licensing research in 2003 and beyond. Journal of Safety Research. 2004;35(1):5-11.
10. Simpson, H.M. The evolution and effectiveness of graduated licensing. J Safety Res. Jan 2003;34(1):25-34.
11. Dee, T.S., Grabowski, D.C., and Morrisey, M.A. Graduated driver licensing and teen traffic fatalities. J Health Econ. May 2005;24(3):571-589.
12. Morrisey, M., Grabowski, D., Dee, T., and Campbell, C. The strength of graduated drivers license programs and fatalities among teen drivers and passengers. Accid Anal Prev. 2006;36:135-141.
13. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Fatality Analysis Reporting System (FARS) Web-Based Encyclopedia. Accessed March 2005. Available at: http://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/ .
14. U.S. Census Bureau. U.S. Census Bureau, Population estimates, entire data set. Accessed March 2005. Available at: http://www.census.gov/popest/datasets.html .
15. Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. U.S. licensing systems for young drivers. Accessed April 2005. Available at: http://www.iihs.org/laws/state_laws/pdf/us_licensing_systems.pdf
16. Diggle, P., Heagerty, P., Liang, K-Y., and Zeger, S. Analysis of longitudinal data. 2nd ed. New York: Oxford University Press; 2002.
17. Hardin, J., and Hilbe, J.. Generalized Estimating Equations . Boca Raton, FL: Chapman & Hall/CRC; 2003.
18. The SAS System for Windows [computer program]. Version 9.1. Cary, NC: SAS Institute Inc; 2003.
19. Williams, A., Ferguson, S., and Wells, J. Sixteen-year-old drivers in fatal crashes, United States, 2003. Traffic Inj Prev. 2005;6(3):202-206.
20. Williams, A.F., and Ferguson, S.A. Rationale for graduated licensing and the risks it should address. Inj Prev. Sep 2002;8 Suppl 2:ii9-14; discussion ii14-16.
21. Mayhew, D.R., Simpson, H.M., and Pak, A.. Changes in collision rates among novice drivers during the first months of driving. Accid Anal Prev. Sep 2003;35(5):683-691.
22. Hedlund, J., Shults, R.A., and Compton, R.. What we know, what we don't know, and what we need to know about graduated driver licensing. J Safety Res. Jan 2003;34(1):107-115.
23. Simons-Morton, B. Increasing parental management of novice teen drivers: Is it possible? Does it matter? Proceedings of the Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine. 2005.
24. Hartos, J.L., Simons-Morton, B.G., Beck, K.H., and Leaf, W.A. Parent-imposed limits on high-risk adolescent driving: are they stricter with graduated driver licensing? Accid Anal Prev. May 2005;37(3):557-562.
25. Goodwin, A.H., and Foss, R.D. Graduated driver licensing restrictions: awareness, compliance, and enforcement in North Carolina. J Safety Res. 2004;35(4):367-374.
26. Preusser, D.F., Ferguson, S.A., and Williams, A.F. The effect of teenage passengers on the fatal crash risk of teenage drivers. Accid Anal Prev. Mar 1998;30(2):217-222.
27. Chen, L.H., Baker, S.P., Braver, E.R., and Li, G. Carrying passengers as a risk factor for crashes fatal to 16- and 17-year-old drivers. JAMA.. Mar 22-29 2000;283(12):1578-1582.
28. Rice, T.M., Peek-Asa, C., and Kraus, J.F. Nighttime driving, passenger transport, and injury crash rates of young drivers. Inj Prev. Sep 2003;9(3):245-250.
29. Williams, A.F., and Shabanova, V.I. Responsibility of drivers, by age and gender, for motor-vehicle crash deaths. J Safety Res. 2003;34(5):527-531.