Back your bus ONLY when you have NO other safe way to move the vehicle. Backing is dangerous and increases your risk of a collision
If you have no choice and you must back your bus, follow these procedures:
If you must back at a student pick-up point:
- Post a lookout.
The purpose of the lookout is to warn you about obstacles, approaching persons, and other vehicles. The lookout should not give directions on how to back the bus.
Choose the lookout carefully. You want a mature and reliable person who can be heard clearly.
- Signal for quiet on the bus so you can hear the lookout.
- As you back, constantly check all mirrors and rear windows.
- Back slowly and smoothly.
- If no lookout is available:
- Set the parking brake.
- Turn off the motor and take the keys with you.
- Walk to the rear of the bus to determine whether the way is clear.
If you must back at a student drop-off point:
- Pick up students BEFORE backing
- Watch for latecomers at all time
- Unload students AFTER backing
Load Before Backing
Back Before Unloading