1. Students should ALWAYS walk 10 feet in front of the bus, NEVER behind the bus.
2. Students should ALWAYS be at least 5 giant steps (about 10 feet) away from the side of the bus while waiting for the bus or immediately after disembarking.
3. If a student drops something, he or she should tell the bus driver and NEVER try to pick it up.
4. Student should NEVER run to catch the bus.
Getting On The Bus
1. If students have to cross the road to get onto the school bus
- They should stay on the side of the road, away from traffic, until the bus stops and the driver signals to cross.
- When the driver signals that it is safe to cross, students should first check for traffic. Many students are killed or injured by motorists illegally passing a stopped school bus. So students and driver must check for traffic in both directions — left-right-left.
- As the students cross in front of the school bus, they should watch the driver. If the students can see the driver, the driver can see the students.
2. Students should board the bus using the handrail.
3. Students should move toward the rear quickly without crowding or pushing.
4. Students should sit down quickly.
Getting Off The Bus
1. Students should stay seated until the bus stops.
2. Students should not push or play on the way off the bus.
3. Students should use the handrails to avoid falls.
- They should watch that straps, drawstrings, and clothing don't get caught in the handrail or door
4. Students should glance back toward the rear of the bus before they step off the bus.
- By glancing to the rear of the bus, they can make sure that no one is passing on the right.
5. Students should move 10 feet away from the bus at once.
6. If students have to cross the road to get home
- They should stay on the side of the road, away from traffic and 10 feet ahead of the bus where they can see the driver's face.
- When the driver signals that it is safe to cross, students should cross to the outside edge of the bus and check both ways for traffic.
- If it is clear, they should cross quickly.
- If it is not clear, they should return to the curb.
7. Once off the bus, students should go directly home.