Become familiar with the route.
- Look at a map and take the map with you.
- Drive the route in a car prior to the actual field trip. Think about how and where your bus will fit.
- Find out if there are any detours or closed roads.
- Plan an alternate route.
Get written directions for where you are going.
Know where food and rest areas are.
Identify food and rest areas both along the way and once you get to your destination.
Know where parking is and that it is secure.
Have a full tank of fuel.
Have money for tolls.
When several buses are traveling together, have a lead driver and maintain a safe following distance.
Communicate with the person in charge of the trip.
- Get the name of the person in charge.
- Give the person in charge your name.
- Agree on loading and unloading places and times.
- Make sure that you and the person in charge know how to get in touch with each other.
- Make sure that the person in charge knows where the bus will be parked.
- Make sure that the person in charge knows that he/she is responsible for student behavior.
Keep aisles and exits clear of baggage, equipment, and people.
Carry emergency phone numbers for school personnel.
LOCAL POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
|In Case of Emergency
|Transportation Supervisor: ________________