Adult, Ages 18-60 (Recruit 12 males for 9 to show.)
ASK TO SPEAK WITH ADULT 18-60 YEARS OF AGE.
We are holding discussions with adults between the ages of 18 and 60 to discuss issues related to driving an automobile while fatigued or drowsy. My name is ______ and I would like to ask you some questions to see if you qualify to participate in one of the discussion groups. The groups will be held the evening of ______ and will last approximately two hours. Refreshments will be served and you will receive $______ for your participation.
1. Do you or a member of your immediate family work in advertising or market research?
Terminate if YES: Thank you but we are not recruiting individuals in these professions at this time.
2. Have you participated in a focus group within the last six months?
Terminate if YES: Thank you but we are recruiting individuals who have not taken part in a recent focus group at this time.
3. I am going to read a list of occupations. Please tell me if you or a
member of your immediate family are employed in any of the following areas:
yes__no__ Law Enforcement
yes__no__ Driver (taxi, delivery, limo, school bus, truck, van, etc.)
yes__no__ Automobile dealership, rental company, or repair shop
yes__no__ Transportation related occupation
yes__no__ Federal, state or city government employee
Terminate if YES: Thank you but we are not recruiting individuals who work or have family members who work in this area at this time.
4. Are you a licensed driver?
Terminate if NO: Thank you but we are recruiting individuals who are licensed drivers at this time.
5. Are you licensed to drive commercial vehicles?
Terminate if YES: Thank you but we are not recruiting individuals who are licensed commercial drivers at this time.
6. Can you please tell me your age?
Under 18__ Terminate: Thank you but we are recruiting individuals over 18 at this time
18-60__ Continue Questioning
60 or over__ Terminate: Thank you but we are recruiting participants under 60 at this time
7. In your current job, do you work on a rotating shift or are you regularly scheduled to be at work after 11 p.m.?
Important that they are shift workers scheduled to work at night (e.g., union workers, factory workers, medical professionals, people in the hospitality industry).
For the following questions, I would like you to consider only occasions where you did not consume alcohol.
8. Have you ever fallen asleep or nodded off while driving?
9. Have you started to drive or continued driving an automobile when you felt very fatigued, drowsy or sleepy three or more times during the past year.
10. Have you driven on a trip greater than 1 hour in length between 12 midnight and 6 a.m. three or more times during the past year?
11. Have you driven an automobile after being awake for a period of 18 hours or longer three or more times during the past year?
RECRUIT IF RESPONDENT ANSWERS YES TO TWO OR MORE QUESTIONS (8-11).
As I mentioned, the groups will be held on day/date/time at our facilities. Which group can you attend? We will send you a confirmation letter and map indicating the location and confirming the date and time of your participation. Thank you.