Other Issues Discussed
The following points were mentioned in the forum breakouts but not discussed at length.
- Elevate speeding to a national priority at the same level as reducing alcohol-impaired driving and increasing safety belt use.
- Consider methods to sustain the effect of speed enforcement and marketing strategies over time.
- Include public health organizations in efforts to manage speeding.
- Cooperate with employers to help manage their employees’ speeding through workplace policies and education; encourage lower speeds for both safety and fuel efficiency.
- Integrate speeding issues into other education and enforcement programs.
- Expand graduated driver licensing requirements to include a restriction on driving on high-speed roads, as is done in some other countries.
- Increase the emphasis on speeding and its consequences in driver education classes.
- Increase penalties for speed violations, perhaps in specific high-risk areas such as school and work zones.
- Consider speed limiters for the vehicles of repeat speeding offenders.
- Share speed violation information between States, to better identify repeat offenders.
- Increase vehicle registration fees for high horsepower vehicles.