- Vingilis E: Drinking drivers and alcoholics: Are they from the same
population?, in Smart RG, Glaser FB, Israel Y, et al. (eds): Research
advances in alcohol and drug problems. New York, Plenum Press; 1983:299-342.
- Runge JW, Pulliam CL, Carter JM, Thomason MH: Enforcement of drunken
driving laws in cases involving injured intoxicated drivers. Ann Emerg
- Maio RF, Waller PF, Blow FC, Hill EM, Singer KM: Alcohol
abuse/dependence in motor vehicle crash victims presenting to the emergency
department. Acad Emerg Med 1997;4:256-262.
- Orsay EM, Doan-Wiggins L, Lewis R, Lucke R, RamaKrishnan V: The
impaired driver: Hospital and police detection of alcohol and other drugs of
abuse in motor vehicle crashes. Ann Emerg Med 1994;24:51-55.
- Soderstrom CA, Dischinger PC, Smith GS, McDuff DR, Hebel JR, Gorelick
DA: Psychoactive Substance Dependence Among Trauma Center Patients. JAMA
- 1993 Texas Survey of Substance Abuse Among Adults. 1994. Austin, TX,
Texas Commission on Alcohol and Drug Abuse.
- Bien TH, Miller WR, Tonigan JS: Brief interventions
for alcohol problems: a review. Addiction 1993;88:315-336.
- Lacey, JH, Jones, RK, and Wiliszowski, CH. Validation
of problem drinking screening instruments for DWI offenders. NHTSA Technical
Report. 1999. Washington DC, US Department of Transportation.
- Cherpitel CJ: Screening for alcohol problems in the
emergency department. Ann Emerg Med 1995;26:158-166.
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
Traffic Safety Facts - 1998. DOT HS 808 983. 1999. Washington DC, US
Department of Transportation.
- Maull KI, Kinning LS, Hickman JK: Culpability and
accountability of hospitalized injured alcohol-impaired drivers. JAMA
- Gentilello LM, Duggan P, Drummond D, et al: Major
injury as a unique opportunity to initiate treatment in the alcoholic. Am
J Surg 1988;156:558-561.
- Chang G, Astrachan BM: The emergency department
surveillance of alcohol intoxication after motor vehicle accidents. JAMA
- Soderstrom CA, Birschback JM, Dischnger PC: Injured
drivers and alcohol use: culpability, convictions, and pre- and post-crash
driving history. J Trauma 1990;30:1208-1214.
- National Commission Against Drunk Driving. Drunk
drivers escaping detection through the Emergency Department. 1999.
- American College of Emergency Physicians. Alcohol abuse and
motor vehicle safety. American College of Emergency Physicians Policy #400195.
- Dawson D: Beyond black, white and Hispanic: race, ethnic
origin and drinking patterns in the United States. Journal of Substance
- Nielson A: Examining drinking patterns and problems among hispanic
groups: results from a national survey. J Stud Alcohol 2000;61:301-310.
to Appendix 1 | Return to