July 8, 2015 | Washington, DC
Wednesday, July 8, 2015
Contact: Chantel Walker, 202-366-9550, Public.Affairs@dot.gov
Every 45 seconds a motor vehicle is stolen in the U.S.
WASHINGTON – In recognition of National Vehicle Theft Prevention Month, the U.S. DOT’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is urging the public to take simple, but necessary precautions to protect their cars.
July and August are a primetime for car thefts. Protect your vehicle:
- Take your key; don't leave it in or on your vehicle.
- Close and lock all windows and doors when you park.
- Park in well-lit areas - in a garage, if possible.
- Never leave valuables in your vehicle in sight.
If your vehicle is stolen:
- Contact the police immediately and file a stolen vehicle report.
- Contact your insurance company as soon as possible to submit a theft claim.
- If you locate your vehicle before the authorities, notify the police and your insurance company immediately.
NHTSA released a new safety video on vehicle theft. Watch it and send it to your family and friends - Safer drivers. Safer cars. Safer roads.
Stay connected with NHTSA: Search for open recalls with VIN look up | Download the Safercar Mobile App for Apple or Android devices | Receive recall alerts by email | Visit us on Facebook.com/NHTSA | Follow us on Twitter.com/NHTSAgov | Watch 5-Star Safety Ratings crash tests on YouTube.com/USDOTNHTSA | SaferCar.gov