HYUNDAI / NHTSA Research Sharing Meeting April 19, 2010 - Washington, DC
- Overview of NHTSA Distraction Plan
- Advanced Restraint System (ARS), Stephen Summers, NHTSA Vehicle Safety Research
- Driver Alcohol Detection System for Safety (DADSS), Eric Traube / Stephanie Binder, NHTSA Vehicle Safety Research
- Evaluation of Small Overlap / Oblique Test Procedures, James Saunders, NHTSA Vehicle Safety Research
Stapp Conference November 2011 - Dearborn, Michigan
Harmonization Task Group Meeting, November 2011
THOR Meeting October 30, 2012 - Savannah, Georgia
Dan Parent, USDOT NHTSA
Human Injury Research Division
- March 6, 2018: NHTSA hosting public meeting on removing regulatory barriers for vehicles with Automated Driving Systems.
SAE Government / Industry Meeting January 2010
- Human Factors for the Integrated Vehicle-Based Safety Systems (IVBSS) Program. John Campbell, Battelle.
- Overview of NHTSA's Investigation Based Programs: NASS CDS, SCI and NMVCCS. Chip Chidester, NHTSA.
- A Preliminary Examination of Lane Keeping Support Systems. Garrick Forkenbrock, NHTSA.
- Consumer Information Program Feasibility Study for Heavy Trucks. Jim Funke et al, NHTSA / Stratacomm.
- The Contribution of Medical Conditions to Passenger Vehicle Crashes Using NMVCCS Data. Rafaat Hanna, NHTSA.
- CAFE Enforcement Programs for Footprint Calculations and Credit Tracking and Allocation. Maurice Hicks, NHTSA.
- Use of NASS CDS Data in Oblique Pole Side Impact Rulemaking. Thomas Kang, NHTSA.
- NHTSA Research on Restraint Performance in Dynamic Rollovers. Allison Louden, NHTSA.
- NHTSA's Child Side Impact Protection Research Program. Allison Louden , NHTSA.
- Summary of NHTSA Tire Aging Test Development Research. James MacIsaac, NHTSA.
- NHTSA Pedestrian Testing with TRL and Flex-GTR Legforms and the Status of the GTR. Susan Meyerson et al, NHTSA/TRC.
- Crash Avoidance and Advanced Safety Systems Division. Wassim Najm, Volpe.
- Rear Seat Study. Aloke Prasad, NHTSA.
- Simulator Study of Motorcycle Rider Braking Behavior. Paul Rau, NHTSA.
- An Analysis of Injury Type and Distribution of Belted, Non-ejected Occupants Involved in Rollover Crashes. Stephen Ridella, et al NHTSA/FHWA, UVA.
- Evaluation of Small Overlap / Oblique Test Procedures. James Saunders, NHTSA.
- CIREN: Improved Injury Causation Coding Methods; An Initial Review. Mark Scarboro, NHTSA.
- Better Understanding of the Spatial Extent of Motor Vehicle Fatalities Occurring in Rural Areas. Rajesh Subramanian, NHTSA.
SAE Government / Industry Meeting January 2011 Washington, DC
- Update on NHTSA’s Small Overlap/Oblique Testing. James Saunders USDOT NHTSA.
Highway Vehicle Event Data Recorder Symposium June 6-8, 2011 Institute Conference Center Danville, VA
- NHTSA Research Roadmap for Studying Advanced Automotive Collision Notification. Matthew Craig, PhD USDOT NHTSA.
SAE Government / Industry Meeting January 2012 Washington, DC, USA
- An Update on NHTSA's Small Overlap / Oblique Research Program, James Saunders USDOT NHTSA.
- NHTSA Evaluation of the Flex-GTR Legform on US Vehicles. Brian Suntay, Ann E. Mallory Transportation Center, Inc., Jason Stammen NHTSA.
- NHTSA Evaluation of the Q3s Three Year-Old Side Impact Dummy. Dan Rhule USDOT NHTSA VRTC.
- Overview of NHTSA's Visual-Manual Distraction Guidelines for Integrated Electronic Devices. Riley Garrott Elizabeth Mazzae, DOT NHTSA.
- WorldSID 50th Male Seating Evaluation and Fleet Testing. Allison Louden USDOT NHTSA.
SAE World Congress April 2012 Detroit Michigan, USA
- Moving Deformable Barrier Test Procedure for Evaluating Small Overlap/Oblique Crashes. James Saunders, Dan Parent, Matthew Craig USDOT NHTSA
SAE Government / Industry Meeting January 2014 Washington, DC, USA
- NHTSA's 2013 Light Vehicle Cib/Dbs Performance Evaluation. Garrick J. Forkenbrock, NHTSA
- Applications of The THOR ATD in NHTSA Research. Dan Parent, Human Injury Research Division.
- Update on NHTSA's Oblique Research Program. James Saunders, Dan Parent.
- Ames Active Hoods - FINAL. Eva Ames, Peter Martin, PhD, NHTSA.
- NHTSA’s PCAM Testing and Dummy Development. Frank S. Barickman NHTSA, Heath Albrecht NHTSA, Devin Elsasser NHTSA.
- Barickman - PCAM Validation Testing. Frank S. Barickman, NHTSA, Heath Albrecht, NHTSA
- USDOT-Crash Avoidance Metrics Partnership Automation Research Project Overview. Frank S. Barickman, NHTSA.
- Data Modernization Technologies Being Researched for the Data Modernization Project. John Brophy USDOT NHTSA.
- Integration of Rearview Video Systems Into the U.S. New Car Assessment Program. Clarke Harper Crash Avoidance Programs Coordinator. New Car Assessment Program, NHTSA
- Update on Rollover Crash Research: Dummy Biofidelity Analysis. Jason R. Kerrigan
- University of Virginia Center for Applied Biomechanics
- NHTSA Heavy Vehicle Crash Avoidance Research Overview. Robert Kreeb, NHTSA
- Worldsid Status 50th Male and 5th Female. Allison E Louden, NHTSA, Doug Weston, TRC Inc.
- Effects of Pre-impact Braking on Rear Seat Occupant Kinematics. Aloke K. Prasad, NHTSA, Douglas Weston, TRC, Inc.
- Evaluation Window Retention of Motorcoach side Windows. Aloke K. Prasad, NHTSA, J. Stephen Duffy, TRC, Inc.
- Effectiveness of Certifiedadvanced Air Bags in Real World Crashes. Nathan Greenwell, NHTSA.
- Medium and Heavy Duty Vehicle Fuel Efficiency and Greenhouse Gas Emission Phase 2 Rulemaking. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Environmental Protection Agency.
- NHTSA's Approach to Adaptive Headlighting Systems. Markus Price, NHTSA.
- Impairment Detection - NADS Drive Driver Impairment Detection Research. Timothy Brown University of Iowa, Chris Schwarz University of Iowa, John Lee University of Wisconsin, Tony McDonald University of Wisconsin.
- Real World Older Occupant Injury. Mark Scarboro, NHTSA.
- Rear Seat Occupant Protection: Addressing the Different Needs of A Diverse Population. Jingwen Hu, Jonathan D. Rupp, Matthew P. Reed UMTRI, Thomas J. Klena, Paul Lange, Kurt Fischer TRW
- Performance of Bumper Systems With Respect to Pedestrian Protection and Bumper Damageability Requirements. Jason Stammen NHTSA, Brian Suntay Transportation Research Center Inc.
- Variation in Anthropometry of the Head and Chest with Age for Application to Human Injury Prediction. Jillian Urban, Ashley Weaver, Samantha Schoell, Elizabeth Lillie, Sarah Lynch, Joel Stitzel Virginia Tech-Wake Forest University Center for Injury Biomechanics Wake Forest University School of Medicine.
- 4-Point Thoracic Injury Criteria Development for THOR. Gerald Poplin, Jason Forman, Timothy McMurry, Joseph Ash, Greg Shaw, Jeff Crandall UVA.
- WorldSID Status 50th Male and 5th Female. NHTSA.
SAE Government / Industry Meeting January 2015 Washington, DC, USA
- Structural Design Considerations for a Lightweighted Vehicle to Achieve "Good" Rating In IIHS Small Overlap. Harry Singh EDAG, Inc.
- Oblique Crashes in CIREN. Mark Scarboro USDOT NHTSA.
- An Update About NHTSA's Left and Right Side Impact Oblique Testing Research Program. James Saunders USDOT NHTSA
Collection of Real-World Data
- Evaluation of FMVSS No 301, Fuel System Integrity, as Upgraded in 2005 to 2009. Jia-Ern Pai USDOT NHTSA.
- Lives Saved by Vehicle Safety Technologies and Associated Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, 1960 to 2012. John Kindelberger, USDOT NHTSA.
- The Economic and Societal Impact of Motor Vehicle Crashes, 2010. Lawrence Blincoe USDOT NHTSA.
- Update on NHTSA's Data Modernization Project. Tina Morgan USDOT NHTSA.
- Advanced Adaptive Restraint Program. Bernd Cyliax Takata Corp. James Saunders USDOT NHTSA.
- Rear Seat Occupant Protection: Safety Beyond Seat Belts. Jinwen Hu UMTRI. James Saunders USDOT NHTSA
Automated Vehicles: Design for Functional Safety
- Safety Analysis Approaches for Automatic Electronic Control Systems. QVE Hommes USDOT Volpe.
- Human Factors Design Principles for Level 2 and Level 3 Automation. Myra Blanco CAVS, Paul Rau USDOT NHTSA.
- Evaluation of the NHTSA THOR Finite Element Model. Matthew Panzer UVa, Dan Parent USDOT NHTSA.
- Investigation of Lower Spine Compression Fractures in Frontal Crashes. Rodney Rudd USDOT NHTSA.
- Development of an Older Occupant FE Model Incorporating Geometry, Material Property, and Cortical THickness Variation. Ashley Weaver Wake Forest, Rodney Rudd USDOT NHTSA
- Epidemiological Analysis of Far-side Crashes from Recent NASS-CDS Databases. John Humm MCW, Rodney Rudd USDOT NHTSA.
- Safety In Numbers. Debbie Ascone USDOT NHTSA.
- Communicating Safety in the Digital Age. Lucia Sanchez, James Schulte USDOT NHTSA.
- NHTSA'S Research and Rulemaking Activities. Cristina Echemendia USDOT NHTSA.
Commercial Vehicle Safety
- VTTI Field Study of Heavy Vehicle Collision Avoidance Technologies. Gregory Fitch, et al VTTI
- NHTSA's Automotive Cybersecurity Research. Arthur Carter, Frank Barickman USDOT NHTSA.
- Pedestrian Crash Avoidance Research Program Update. Frank Barickman USDOT NHTSA.
- CAMP - Pedestrian Crash Avoidance / Mitigation Project: Use of Real-World Operation Assessment Data in the Development of PCAM Test Procedures. Michael Carpenter General Motors, Frank Barikman USDOT NHTSA.
Research and Regulation Updates for Electric and Alternative Fuel Vehicles
- Stranded Energy in an Inoperative RESS. Eric Rask Argonne Nat'l Labs, Phil Gorney USDOT NHTSA.
- Li-ion Battery Safety Modeling. John Turner Oak Ridge Nat'l Lab, Phil Gorney USDOT NHTSA.
- Alternative Fuels in CAFE Rulemaking. Greg Powell USDOT NHTSA.
Light Duty Powertrain Technologies and Market Trends
- Regulatory Analysis of Powertrain Technologies: One Pathway for Compliance with CAFE and GHG Emissions Standards. James Tamm USDOT NHTSA.
Heavy and Medium Duty Fuel Efficiency and GHG Standards: Technologies and Policies
- EPA / NHTSA Update on Phase II GHG Rules for Medium and Heavy Duty Vehicles. Matthew Spears US EPA, James Tamm USDOT NHTSA.
Advanced Materials for Boosting Fuel Economy
- Agency Sponsored Mass Reduction Studies for Midterm Review. Cheryl Caffrey US EPA, Lixin Zhao USDOT NHTSA.
SAE Active Safety Symposium November 5, 2015 Plymouth, MI
- Pedestrian Test Mannequins Objective Criteria for Evaluating Repeatability and Accuracy of PCAM Systems. Heath Albrecht, USDOT NHTSA.
- NHTSA's Lateral Deviation Support Test Method Research. Garrick Forkenbrock, USDOT NHTSA
2017 SAE GOVERNMENT / INDUSTRY MEETING
Meeting held January 25-27, 2017 in Washington, DC. Talks covered the following:
- Cyber Security and Privacy
- Light Duty GHG/CAFE
- Advanced Automatic Collision Notification
- Beyond TSCA & Next Steps, Part 2
- Vehicle Technologies to Increase Seat Belt Usage
- Crash Avoidance Technology
- Automated Vehicles
- Commercial Vehicle Safety
2018 SAE GOVERNMENT / INDUSTRY MEETING
Meeting held January 24-26, 2018 in Washington, DC. Talks covered the following:
- Automated Driving Systems, Levels 4 and 5, Deploying Safe Automated Vehicles
- Automated Vehicle Safety, Levels 1, 2, and 3
- Commercial Vehicle Safety
- Connected Vehicles
- Crash Avoidance Technology
- Data Collection - Meeting Future Safety Needs
- Integration of Active and Passive Safety
- Vulnerable Occupants
- Vulnerable Road Users
2019 SAE GOVERNMENT / INDUSTRY MEETING
- Field Study of Light Vehicle Advanced Driving Assistance System (ADAS) Jenny Zhang, USDOT NHTSA
- Partnership for Analytics Research in Traffic Safety (PARTS): Demonstrating the Value of the Partnership Joseph Kolly, USDOT NHTSA, and Tim Czapp, FCA US LLC
- Achieving V2X Interoperability and Security: Results from USDOT's Security Credential Management System Deployment Workshops Robert Kreeb, USDOT NHTSA
- Safety Analysis of Heavy-Duty Truck Platooning Systems Doug Pape, Battelle
- NHTSA’S Motorcycle Helmet Testing Research Program Christian Nguyen, NHTSA
Automated Driving Systems
- NHTSA’s FMVSS Considerations for Vehicles with Automated Driving Systems Lori Summers, USDOT NHTSA
- Driver Engagement with ADS-equipped Vehicles - Part 1 Christian Jerome, PhD, USDOT NHTSA
Advanced Driver Assistance Systems
- Traffic Jam Assist Test Methodology Erin Fogle, Transportation Research Center and Garrick Forkenbrock, USDOT NHTSA
- Test Procedure Verification for Blind Spot Intervention and Oncoming Traffic Safety Assist Taylor Manahan, Transportation Research Center and Garrick Forkenbrock, USDOT NHTSA
- Intersection Safety Assist Research and Testing Ian Davis, Transportation Research Center and Garrick Forkenbrock, USDOT NHTSA
- ATD Seating in Highly Reclined Seats Aloke Prasad, NHTSA
- Human Model Occupant Kinematics in Highly Reclined Seats during Frontal Crashes Kyle Boyle, Jingwen Hu, Lauren Zaseck, Matthew P. Reed, UMTRI-Biosciences
- Effect of Test Setup and Seating Position Varience in Oblique Frontal Offset Tests Rudolf Reichert, George Mason University
- Update on Lower Interior Impacts to Seat Backs and B-pillars Kedryn Wietholter, NHTSA
- Biomechanical Responses and Injury Assessment of PMHS in Rear-facing Seating Configurations Yun-Seok Kang and John H. Bolte, The Ohio State University; Alena Hagedorn, Transportation Research Center; Jason Stammen and Kevin Moorhouse, USDOT NHTSA/VRTC
- Restraint Optimization for Obese Occupants Hamed Joodaki, University of Virginia Center for Applied Biomechanics and Vivek Maripudi, Joyson Safety Systems
- Measuring and Modeling Occupant Responses During Abrupt Vehicle Maneuvers Jingwen Hu, PhD, Byoung-Keon Park, PhD, Matthew P. Reed, PhD, Sheila Ebert, MS, Monica L.H. Jones, PhD, UMTRI Transportation Institute, University of Michigan