- Drunk driving is often a symptom of a larger problem: alcohol misuse and abuse.
- Alcohol-impaired motor vehicle crashes cost more than an estimated $37 billion annually.
- In 2012, more than 10,000 people died in alcohol-impaired driving crashes - one every 51 minutes.
A Call To ActionClick HERE for Drunk Driving
Prevention Campaign materials.
New Mexico's Comprehensive Impaired-Driving Program: A Case Study
In late 2004, NHTSA provided funds to the New Mexico Department of Transportation to demonstrate a process for implementing a comprehensive State impaired-driving system.
Ignition Interlocks - What You Need to Know: A Toolkit for Policymakers, Highway Safety Professionals, and Advocates (2nd Edition)
This toolkit is designed to provide basic information regarding ignition interlocks and considerations for program administrators and policy makers in designing an efficient program.
Model Guideline for State Ignition Interlock Programs
Aimed at helping states develop and implement a breath alcohol ignition interlock program based on highly successful practices from the U.S. and around the world. The guideline emphasizes several key program features to maximize effectiveness – including legislation, education, program administration, and implementation.
Intensive DWI Supervision in Urban Areas - Feasibility Study
Drivers with prior convictions for driving while impaired (DWI) carry a higher risk of future DWI arrests and crash involvement. In response, communities have developed various strategies to address the drinking-driving problems of DWI offenders by assisting them in making positive behavioral changes to reduce their likelihood of recidivism.
Ignition Interlock Institutes: Promoting the Use of Interlocks and Improvements to
The institutes were designed to bring teams of people from different States representing various organizations and agencies who are involved with some component of their States’ ignition interlock program system. The purpose of the institutes was to promote increased use of ignition interlocks in each participating State and to identify improvements to strengthen its interlock programs.
Digest of Impaired Driving and Selected Beverage Control Laws (27th Edition, 2012)
This digest reports the status of State laws that are concerned with impaired driving offenses and alcoholic beverage control. It is extensively footnoted and contains comprehen-sive information on critical impaired-driving laws for all 50 States, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico.
Youth and Young Adults
- A Social Norms Strategy to Reduce Impaired Driving Among 21-34-Year-Olds
- Community How to Guide on Underage Drinking Prevention
- Speak Out & Make NOYS Project Manual
- Cross-Examination For Prosecutors
- A Guide for Local Impaired-Driving Task Forces
- Source Investigations: A Tool to Combat Impaired Driving