- Drunk driving is often a symptom of a larger problem: alcohol misuse and abuse.
- Alcohol-impaired motor vehicle crashes cost more than an estimated $37 billion annually.
- In 2010, more than 10,000 people died in alcohol-impaired driving crashes - one every 51 minutes.
A Call To ActionClick HERE for the 2013 National Labor Day
Weekend Drunk Driving Prevention Crackdown:
Products for Law Enforcement Action Kit (PEAK) materials.
Guidelines for Creating State Judicial Outreach Liaisons
The purpose of this document is to provide guidance for the creation of positions and the typical duties performed by the State Judicial Outreach Liaison (SJOL). In addition, NHTSA Judicial Fellows and Regional Judicial Outreach Liaisons are referenced throughout the document to provide an understanding of their roles and how they interact with SJOLs.
Challenges and Defenses II
Claims and responses to common challenges and defenses in driving while impaired cases
Increasing Impaired-Driving Enforcement Visibility: Six Case Studies
Each case study includes discussion of the HVE program’s history, enforcement strategies, visibility elements, operation, resources, use of media, educational components, funding, support from political leaders and the community, barriers encountered, and strengths of the program.
Washington’s Target Zero Teams Project:
Reduction in Fatalities During Year One (Research Note)
In November 2006, the Washington Traffic Safety Commission (WTSC) sponsored the Nighttime Emphasis Enforcement Team (NEET) pilot project in Snohomish County. The goal of the NEET pilot project was to reduce serious injuries and fatalities due to impaired driving through the deployment of a fully dedicated team of Washington State Patrol (WSP) troopers concentrating on nighttime enforcement of impaired driving. NEET troopers were not responsible for responding to calls for service.
Cross-Examination For Prosecutors
This monograph was developed to assist prosecutors in understanding the basic goals, methods, and forms of cross-examination when dealing with all witnesses. In addition, the monograph provides guidance specific to expert witnesses.
Digest of Impaired Driving and Selected Beverage Control Laws (26th Edition, 2011)
This digest reports the status of State laws that are concerned with impaired driving offenses and alcoholic beverage control. It is extensively footnoted and contains comprehen-sive information on critical impaired-driving laws for all 50 States, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico.
Youth and Young Adults
- A Social Norms Strategy to Reduce Impaired Driving Among 21-34-Year-Olds
- Community How to Guide on Underage Drinking Prevention
- Speak Out & Make NOYS Project Manual
- Cross-Examination For Prosecutors
- A Guide for Local Impaired-Driving Task Forces
- Source Investigations: A Tool to Combat Impaired Driving