Every day, 26 million children ride on school buses. School bus drivers play an important role in the safe transportation of students to and from school and school-related activities. They reduce hazards, follow safety protocols, and actively avoid incidents.
While school bus transportation remains the safest way for students to get to school, school-transportation-related crashes still occur. Regular training is important for school bus drivers to stay up-to-date on the latest industry standards and help them maintain and improve the safety of children in and around the school bus.
NHTSA is committed to improving the safety of students in and around school buses and is now offering an improved School Bus Driver In-Service Curriculum that:
- Is completely online and mobile-friendly so that school bus drivers can complete the curriculum at their own pace anytime, anywhere;
- Incorporates adult learning principles to provide an interactive and engaging experience that helps improve retention of content;
- Allows you to use the curriculum in its entirety or pick and choose modules to supplement your existing training and customize learning paths;
- Contains knowledge checks to assess learning;
- Allows for instant scheduling – no need to schedule in-service days;
- Enables you to track completion and conduct data analysis; and
- Is offered at no cost to school districts.
- Driver Attitude
- Vehicle Training
- Highway-Rail Grade Crossing Safety
- Adverse Weather Conditions
- Knowing Your Route
- Student Management
- Loading and Unloading
- Transporting Students with Special Needs
- Transporting Infants and Toddlers
- Emergency Evacuation