NHTSA is conducting a comprehensive review of the National Automotive Sampling System (NASS) research design and data collection methods as part of a major effort to modernize the system. Users of NASS and crash data may comment on the future utility of current data elements, recommend additional data elements and attributes, and describe their anticipated data needs.
- NHTSA's Review of the National Automotive Sample System -- A Report to Congress (March 2015) (PDF, 1.3 MB)
- GAO report: Status of NHTSA's Redesign of Its Crashworthiness Data System (March 6, 2015)
- November 2014 Update (PDF, 809 KB)
- NHTSA picks new name for NASS replacement, publishes RFP to implement new crash data collection system
- SAE presentation on data collection technologies researched for the Data Modernization project
- Listening Session Presentation by Terry Shelton, NCSA Associate Administrator (PowerPoint, 682 KB)