Tuesday, July 19
1:30 p.m. ET/10:30 a.m. PT
Join the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration for the kickoff of the agency’s first national paid media campaign that focuses on speed. The Speeding Wrecks Lives press event will be held in Los Angeles, California, and livestreamed.
Speeding endangers everyone on the road. Speeding-involved crashes continue to be one of the leading causes of death. In 2020, 11,258 people were killed in speeding-involved crashes, a 17% increase over 2019 — and early projections for 2021 show speeding-involved traffic deaths continue to increase.
Speakers will include:
- Dr. Steven Cliff, NHTSA Administrator;
- Commissioner Amanda Ray, California Highway Patrol;
- Barbara Rooney, Governors Highway Safety Association;
- Colonel Matt Langer, International Association Chiefs of Police; and
- Lili Trujillo Puckett, Street Racing Kills
NHTSA’s Speeding Wrecks Lives paid media campaign will begin on July 20 and run through August 14.
NHTSA is committed to providing equal access to this event for all participants. People with disabilities who need accommodations should send a request to NHTSA.Communication@dot.gov no later than July 7.