Where’s my VIN?
What information will display in the search results?
What will the license plate and VIN search show?
- An unrepaired recall for a vehicle from certain manufacturers.
What won’t the license plate and VIN search show?
- A safety recall that has already been repaired.
- Safety recalls that are more than 15 years old (except where a manufacturer offers more coverage).
- Manufacturer customer service or other non-safety recall campaigns.
- A recall involving an international vehicle.
Other search options
Report a Safety Problem
by filing a complaint with NHTSA
Reporting your problem is the important first step.
NHTSA conducts an investigation from reported complaints.
D. RECALL MANAGEMENT
Initiated safety recalls require a manufacturer's action to announce and remedy the defects.
Motor Vehicle Safety Defects And Recalls - What Every Vehicle Owner Should Know