Collecting Relevent Data and Information - NASS provides NHTSA an efficient and reusable resource with which to conduct data collection representing a broad spectrum of American society. Using a core set of crash data components, NASS has proven a reliable resource for a variety of agency sponsored electronic data collection efforts over the past 10 years.
NASS is composed of two systems - the Crashworthiness Data System (CDS) and the General Estimates System (GES). These are based on cases selected from a sample of police crash reports. CDS data focus on passenger vehicle crashes, and are used to investigate injury mechanisms to identify potential improvements in vehicle design. GES data focus on the bigger overall crash picture, and are used for problem size assessments and tracking trends.
- National Automotive Sampling System Overview
- NCRUSS Manual
- NCRUSS Data
- National Motor Vehicle Crash Causation Study Case Viewer
- NMVCCS FTP Site
- Large Truck Crash Causation Study Case Viewer
- NASS Brochure (English) (PDF)
- NASS Brochure (Spanish) (PDF)
- PCDS FTP Site
- Tire Pressure Special Study: SAS format (ZIP)