NHTSA partners with outside organizations to sponsor workshops and conferences on vehicle safety. In addition, NHTSA staff members attend and present information at workshops, conferences, and meetings. The Public Meetings page contains links to papers and presentations NHTSA staff members have delivered.
HYUNDAI / NHTSA Research Sharing Meeting April 19, 2010 - Washington, DC
- Overview of NHTSA Distraction Plan
- Advanced Restraint System (ARS), Stephen Summers, NHTSA Vehicle Safety Research
- Driver Alcohol Detection System for Safety (DADSS), Eric Traube / Stephanie Binder, NHTSA Vehicle Safety Research
- Evaluation of Small Overlap / Oblique Test Procedures, James Saunders, NHTSA Vehicle Safety Research
Stapp Conference November 2011 - Dearborn, Michigan
Harmonization Task Group Meeting, November 2011
THOR Meeting October 30, 2012 - Savannah, Georgia
Dan Parent, USDOT NHTSA
Human Injury Research Division
SAE Government / Industry Meeting January 2010
- Human Factors for the Integrated Vehicle-Based Safety Systems (IVBSS) Program. John Campbell, Battelle.
- Overview of NHTSA's Investigation Based Programs: NASS CDS, SCI and NMVCCS. Chip Chidester, NHTSA.
- A Preliminary Examination of Lane Keeping Support Systems. Garrick Forkenbrock, NHTSA.
- Consumer Information Program Feasibility Study for Heavy Trucks. Jim Funke et al, NHTSA / Stratacomm.
- The Contribution of Medical Conditions to Passenger Vehicle Crashes Using NMVCCS Data. Rafaat Hanna, NHTSA.
- CAFE Enforcement Programs for Footprint Calculations and Credit Tracking and Allocation. Maurice Hicks, NHTSA.
- Use of NASS CDS Data in Oblique Pole Side Impact Rulemaking. Thomas Kang, NHTSA.
- NHTSA Research on Restraint Performance in Dynamic Rollovers. Allison Louden, NHTSA.
- NHTSA's Child Side Impact Protection Research Program. Allison Louden , NHTSA.
- Summary of NHTSA Tire Aging Test Development Research. James MacIsaac, NHTSA.
- NHTSA Pedestrian Testing with TRL and Flex-GTR Legforms and the Status of the GTR. Susan Meyerson et al, NHTSA/TRC.
- Crash Avoidance and Advanced Safety Systems Division. Wassim Najm, Volpe.
- Rear Seat Study. Aloke Prasad, NHTSA.
- Simulator Study of Motorcycle Rider Braking Behavior. Paul Rau, NHTSA.
- An Analysis of Injury Type and Distribution of Belted, Non-ejected Occupants Involved in Rollover Crashes. Stephen Ridella, et al NHTSA/FHWA, UVA.
- Evaluation of Small Overlap / Oblique Test Procedures. James Saunders, NHTSA.
- CIREN: Improved Injury Causation Coding Methods; An Initial Review. Mark Scarboro, NHTSA.
- Better Understanding of the Spatial Extent of Motor Vehicle Fatalities Occurring in Rural Areas. Rajesh Subramanian, NHTSA.
SAE Government / Industry Meeting January 2011 Washington, DC
- Update on NHTSA’s Small Overlap/Oblique Testing. James Saunders USDOT NHTSA.
Highway Vehicle Event Data Recorder Symposium June 6-8, 2011 Institute Conference Center Danville, VA
- NHTSA Research Roadmap for Studying Advanced Automotive Collision Notification. Matthew Craig, PhD USDOT NHTSA.
SAE Government / Industry Meeting January 2012 Washington, DC, USA
- An Update on NHTSA's Small Overlap / Oblique Research Program, James Saunders USDOT NHTSA.
- NHTSA Evaluation of the Flex-GTR Legform on US Vehicles. Brian Suntay, Ann E. Mallory Transportation Center, Inc., Jason Stammen NHTSA.
- NHTSA Evaluation of the Q3s Three Year-Old Side Impact Dummy. Dan Rhule USDOT NHTSA VRTC.
- Overview of NHTSA's Visual-Manual Distraction Guidelines for INtegrated Electronic Devices. Riley Garrott Elizabeth Mazzae, DOT NHTSA.
- WorldSID 50th Male Seating Evaluation and Fleet Testing. Allison Louden USDOT NHTSA.
SAE World Congress April 2012 Detroit Michigan, USA
- Moving Deformable Barrier Test Procedure for Evaluating Small Overlap/Oblique Crashes. James Saunders, Dan Parent, Matthew Craig USDOT NHTSA
SAE Government / Industry Meeting January 2014 Washington, DC, USA
- NHTSA's 2013 Light Vehicle Cib/Dbs Performance Evaluation. Garrick J. Forkenbrock, NHTSA
- Applications of The THOR ATD in NHTSA Research. Dan Parent, Human Injury Research Division.
- Update on NHTSA's Oblique Research Program. James Saunders, Dan Parent.
- Ames Active Hoods - FINAL. Eva Ames, Peter Martin, PhD, NHTSA.
- NHTSA’s PCAM Testing and Dummy Development. Frank S. Barickman NHTSA, Heath Albrecht NHTSA, Devin Elsasser NHTSA.
- Barickman - PCAM Validation Testing. Frank S. Barickman, NHTSA, Heath Albrecht, NHTSA
- USDOT-Crash Avoidance Metrics Partnership Automation Research Project Overview. Frank S. Barickman, NHTSA.
- Data Modernization Technologies Being Researched for the Data Modernization Project. John Brophy USDOT NHTSA.
- Integration of Rearview Video Systems Into the U.S. New Car Assessment Program. Clarke Harper Crash Avoidance Programs Coordinator. New Car Assessment Program, NHTSA
- Update on Rollover Crash Research: Dummy Biofidelity Analysis. Jason R. Kerrigan
- University of Virginia Center for Applied Biomechanics
- NHTSA Heavy Vehicle Crash Avoidance Research Overview. Robert Kreeb, NHTSA
- Worldsid Status 50th Male and 5th Female. Allison E Louden, NHTSA, Doug Weston, TRC Inc.
- Effects of Pre-impact Braking on Rear Seat Occupant Kinematics. Aloke K. Prasad, NHTSA, Douglas Weston, TRC, Inc.
- Evaluation Window Retention of Motorcoach side Windows. Aloke K. Prasad, NHTSA, J. Stephen Duffy, TRC, Inc.
- Effectiveness of Certifiedadvanced Air Bags in Real World Crashes. Nathan Greenwell, NHTSA.
- Medium and Heavy Duty Vehicle Fuel Efficiency and Greenhouse Gas Emission Phase 2 Rulemaking. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Environmental Protection Agency.
- NHTSA's Approach to Adaptive Headlighting Systems. Markus Price, NHTSA.
- Impairment Detection - NADS Drive Driver Impairment Detection Research. Timothy Brown University of Iowa, Chris Schwarz University of Iowa, John Lee University of Wisconsin, Tony McDonald University of Wisconsin.
- Real World Older Occupant Injury. Mark Scarboro, NHTSA.
- Rear Seat Occupant Protection: Addressing the Different Needs of A Diverse Population. Jingwen Hu, Jonathan D. Rupp, Matthew P. Reed UMTRI, Thomas J. Klena, Paul Lange, Kurt Fischer TRW
- Performance of Bumper Systems With Respect to Pedestrian Protection and Bumper Damageability Requirements. Jason Stammen NHTSA, Brian Suntay Transportation Research Center Inc.
- Variation in Anthropometry of the Head and Chest with Age for Application to Human Injury Prediction. Jillian Urban, Ashley Weaver, Samantha Schoell, Elizabeth Lillie, Sarah Lynch, Joel Stitzel Virginia Tech-Wake Forest University Center for Injury Biomechanics Wake Forest University School of Medicine.
- 4-Point Thoracic Injury Criteria Development for THOR. Gerald Poplin, Jason Forman, Timothy McMurry, Joseph Ash, Greg Shaw, Jeff Crandall UVA.
- WorldSID Status 50th Male and 5th Female. NHTSA.
SAE Government / Industry Meeting January 2015 Washington, DC, USA
- Structural Design Considerations for a Lightweighted Vehicle to Achieve "Good" Rating In IIHS Small Overlap. Harry Singh EDAG, Inc.
- Oblique Crashes in CIREN. Mark Scarboro USDOT NHTSA.
- An Update About NHTSA's Left and Right Side Impact Oblique Testing Research Program. James Saunders USDOT NHTSA
Collection of Real-World Data
- Evaluation of FMVSS No 301, Fuel System Integrity, as Upgraded in 2005 to 2009. Jia-Ern Pai USDOT NHTSA.
- Lives Saved by Vehicle Safety Technologies and Associated Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, 1960 to 2012. John Kindelberger, USDOT NHTSA.
- The Economic and Societal Impact of Motor Vehicle Crashes, 2010. Lawrence Blincoe USDOT NHTSA.
- Update on NHTSA's Data Modernization Project. Tina Morgan USDOT NHTSA.
- Advanced Adaptive Restraint Program. Bernd Cyliax Takata Corp. James Saunders USDOT NHTSA.
- Rear Seat Occupant Protection: Safety Beyond Seat Belts. Jinwen Hu UMTRI. James Saunders USDOT NHTSA
Automated Vehicles: Design for Functional Safety
- Safety Analysis Approaches for Automatic Electronic Control Systems. QVE Hommes USDOT Volpe.
- Human Factors Design Principles for Level 2 and Level 3 Automation. Myra Blanco CAVS, Paul Rau USDOT NHTSA.
- Evaluation of the NHTSA THOR Finite Element Model. Matthew Panzer UVa, Dan Parent USDOT NHTSA.
- Investigation of Lower Spine Compression Fractures in Frontal Crashes. Rodney Rudd USDOT NHTSA.
- Development of an Older Occupant FE Model Incorporating Geometry, Material Property, and Cortical THickness Variation. Ashley Weaver Wake Forest, Rodney Rudd USDOT NHTSA
- Epidemiological Analysis of Far-side Crashes from Recent NASS-CDS Databases. John Humm MCW, Rodney Rudd USDOT NHTSA.
- Safety In Numbers. Debbie Ascone USDOT NHTSA.
- Communicating Safety in the Digital Age. Lucia Sanchez, James Schulte USDOT NHTSA.
- NHTSA'S Research and Rulemaking Activities. Cristina Echemendia USDOT NHTSA.
Commercial Vehicle Safety
- VTTI Field Study of Heavy Vehicle Collision Avoidance Technologies. Gregory Fitch, et al VTTI
- NHTSA's Automotive Cybersecurity Research. Arthur Carter, Frank Barickman USDOT NHTSA.
- Pedestrian Crash Avoidance Research Program Update. Frank Barickman USDOT NHTSA.
- CAMP - Pedestrian Crash Avoidance / Mitigation Project: Use of Real-World Operation Assessment Data in the Development of PCAM Test Procedures. Michael Carpenter General Motors, Frank Barikman USDOT NHTSA.
Research and Regulation Updates for Electric and Alternative Fuel Vehicles
- Stranded Energy in an Inoperative RESS. Eric Rask Argonne Nat'l Labs, Phil Gorney USDOT NHTSA.
- Li-ion Battery Safety Modeling. John Turner Oak Ridge Nat'l Lab, Phil Gorney USDOT NHTSA.
- Alternative Fuels in CAFE Rulemaking. Greg Powell USDOT NHTSA.
Light Duty Powertrain Technologies and Market Trends
- Regulatory Analysis of Powertrain Technologies: One Pathway for Compliance with CAFE and GHG Emissions Standards. James Tamm USDOT NHTSA.
Heavy and Medium Duty Fuel Efficiency and GHG Standards: Technologies and Policies
- EPA / NHTSA Update on Phase II GHG Rules for Medium and Heavy Duty Vehicles. Matthew Spears US EPA, James Tamm USDOT NHTSA.
Advanced Materials for Boosting Fuel Economy
- Agency Sponsored Mass Reduction Studies for Midterm Review. Cheryl Caffrey US EPA, Lixin Zhao USDOT NHTSA.
SAE Active Safety Symposium November 5, 2015 Plymouth, MI
- Pedestrian Test Mannequins Objective Criteria for Evaluating Repeatability and Accuracy of PCAM Systems. Heath Albrecht, USDOT NHTSA.
- NHTSA's Lateral Deviation Support Test Method Research. Garrick Forkenbrock, USDOT NHTSA
2017 SAE GOVERNMENT / INDUSTRY MEETING
Meeting held January 25-27, 2017 in Washington, DC. Talks covered the following:
- Cyber Security and Privacy
- Light Duty GHG/CAFE
- Advanced Automatic Collision Notification
- Beyond TSCA & Next Steps, Part 2
- Vehicle Technologies to Increase Seat Belt Usage
- Crash Avoidance Technology
- Automated Vehicles
- Commercial Vehicle Safety