NHTSA partners with outside organizations to sponsor workshops and conferences on vehicle safety. In addition, NHTSA staff members attend and present information at workshops, conferences, and meetings. The Public Meetings page contains links to papers and presentations NHTSA staff members have delivered.
HYUNDAI / NHTSA Research Sharing Meeting April 19, 2010 - Washington, DC
- Overview of NHTSA Distraction Plan
- Advanced Restraint System (ARS), Stephen Summers, NHTSA Vehicle Safety Research
- Driver Alcohol Detection System for Safety (DADSS), Eric Traube / Stephanie Binder, NHTSA Vehicle Safety Research
- Evaluation of Small Overlap / Oblique Test Procedures, James Saunders, NHTSA Vehicle Safety Research
Stapp Conference November 2011 - Dearborn, Michigan
Harmonization Task Group Meeting, November 2011
THOR Meeting October 30, 2012 - Savannah, Georgia
Dan Parent, USDOT NHTSA
Human Injury Research Division
- March 6, 2018: NHTSA hosting public meeting on removing regulatory barriers for vehicles with Automated Driving Systems.
SAE Government / Industry Meeting January 2010
- Human Factors for the Integrated Vehicle-Based Safety Systems (IVBSS) Program. John Campbell, Battelle.
- Overview of NHTSA's Investigation Based Programs: NASS CDS, SCI and NMVCCS. Chip Chidester, NHTSA.
- A Preliminary Examination of Lane Keeping Support Systems. Garrick Forkenbrock, NHTSA.
- Consumer Information Program Feasibility Study for Heavy Trucks. Jim Funke et al, NHTSA / Stratacomm.
- The Contribution of Medical Conditions to Passenger Vehicle Crashes Using NMVCCS Data. Rafaat Hanna, NHTSA.
- CAFE Enforcement Programs for Footprint Calculations and Credit Tracking and Allocation. Maurice Hicks, NHTSA.
- Use of NASS CDS Data in Oblique Pole Side Impact Rulemaking. Thomas Kang, NHTSA.
- NHTSA Research on Restraint Performance in Dynamic Rollovers. Allison Louden, NHTSA.
- NHTSA's Child Side Impact Protection Research Program. Allison Louden , NHTSA.
- Summary of NHTSA Tire Aging Test Development Research. James MacIsaac, NHTSA.
- NHTSA Pedestrian Testing with TRL and Flex-GTR Legforms and the Status of the GTR. Susan Meyerson et al, NHTSA/TRC.
- Crash Avoidance and Advanced Safety Systems Division. Wassim Najm, Volpe.
- Rear Seat Study. Aloke Prasad, NHTSA.
- Simulator Study of Motorcycle Rider Braking Behavior. Paul Rau, NHTSA.
- An Analysis of Injury Type and Distribution of Belted, Non-ejected Occupants Involved in Rollover Crashes. Stephen Ridella, et al NHTSA/FHWA, UVA.
- Evaluation of Small Overlap / Oblique Test Procedures. James Saunders, NHTSA.
- CIREN: Improved Injury Causation Coding Methods; An Initial Review. Mark Scarboro, NHTSA.
- Better Understanding of the Spatial Extent of Motor Vehicle Fatalities Occurring in Rural Areas. Rajesh Subramanian, NHTSA.
SAE Government / Industry Meeting January 2011 Washington, DC
- Update on NHTSA’s Small Overlap/Oblique Testing. James Saunders USDOT NHTSA.
Highway Vehicle Event Data Recorder Symposium June 6-8, 2011 Institute Conference Center Danville, VA
- NHTSA Research Roadmap for Studying Advanced Automotive Collision Notification. Matthew Craig, PhD USDOT NHTSA.
SAE Government / Industry Meeting January 2012 Washington, DC, USA
- An Update on NHTSA's Small Overlap / Oblique Research Program, James Saunders USDOT NHTSA.
- NHTSA Evaluation of the Flex-GTR Legform on US Vehicles. Brian Suntay, Ann E. Mallory Transportation Center, Inc., Jason Stammen NHTSA.
- NHTSA Evaluation of the Q3s Three Year-Old Side Impact Dummy. Dan Rhule USDOT NHTSA VRTC.
- Overview of NHTSA's Visual-Manual Distraction Guidelines for Integrated Electronic Devices. Riley Garrott Elizabeth Mazzae, DOT NHTSA.
- WorldSID 50th Male Seating Evaluation and Fleet Testing. Allison Louden USDOT NHTSA.
SAE World Congress April 2012 Detroit Michigan, USA
- Moving Deformable Barrier Test Procedure for Evaluating Small Overlap/Oblique Crashes. James Saunders, Dan Parent, Matthew Craig USDOT NHTSA
SAE Government / Industry Meeting January 2014 Washington, DC, USA
- NHTSA's 2013 Light Vehicle Cib/Dbs Performance Evaluation. Garrick J. Forkenbrock, NHTSA
- Applications of The THOR ATD in NHTSA Research. Dan Parent, Human Injury Research Division.
- Update on NHTSA's Oblique Research Program. James Saunders, Dan Parent.
- Ames Active Hoods - FINAL. Eva Ames, Peter Martin, PhD, NHTSA.
- NHTSA’s PCAM Testing and Dummy Development. Frank S. Barickman NHTSA, Heath Albrecht NHTSA, Devin Elsasser NHTSA.
- Barickman - PCAM Validation Testing. Frank S. Barickman, NHTSA, Heath Albrecht, NHTSA
- USDOT-Crash Avoidance Metrics Partnership Automation Research Project Overview. Frank S. Barickman, NHTSA.
- Data Modernization Technologies Being Researched for the Data Modernization Project. John Brophy USDOT NHTSA.
- Integration of Rearview Video Systems Into the U.S. New Car Assessment Program. Clarke Harper Crash Avoidance Programs Coordinator. New Car Assessment Program, NHTSA
- Update on Rollover Crash Research: Dummy Biofidelity Analysis. Jason R. Kerrigan
- University of Virginia Center for Applied Biomechanics
- NHTSA Heavy Vehicle Crash Avoidance Research Overview. Robert Kreeb, NHTSA
- Worldsid Status 50th Male and 5th Female. Allison E Louden, NHTSA, Doug Weston, TRC Inc.
- Effects of Pre-impact Braking on Rear Seat Occupant Kinematics. Aloke K. Prasad, NHTSA, Douglas Weston, TRC, Inc.
- Evaluation Window Retention of Motorcoach side Windows. Aloke K. Prasad, NHTSA, J. Stephen Duffy, TRC, Inc.
- Effectiveness of Certifiedadvanced Air Bags in Real World Crashes. Nathan Greenwell, NHTSA.
- Medium and Heavy Duty Vehicle Fuel Efficiency and Greenhouse Gas Emission Phase 2 Rulemaking. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Environmental Protection Agency.
- NHTSA's Approach to Adaptive Headlighting Systems. Markus Price, NHTSA.
- Impairment Detection - NADS Drive Driver Impairment Detection Research. Timothy Brown University of Iowa, Chris Schwarz University of Iowa, John Lee University of Wisconsin, Tony McDonald University of Wisconsin.
- Real World Older Occupant Injury. Mark Scarboro, NHTSA.
- Rear Seat Occupant Protection: Addressing the Different Needs of A Diverse Population. Jingwen Hu, Jonathan D. Rupp, Matthew P. Reed UMTRI, Thomas J. Klena, Paul Lange, Kurt Fischer TRW
- Performance of Bumper Systems With Respect to Pedestrian Protection and Bumper Damageability Requirements. Jason Stammen NHTSA, Brian Suntay Transportation Research Center Inc.
- Variation in Anthropometry of the Head and Chest with Age for Application to Human Injury Prediction. Jillian Urban, Ashley Weaver, Samantha Schoell, Elizabeth Lillie, Sarah Lynch, Joel Stitzel Virginia Tech-Wake Forest University Center for Injury Biomechanics Wake Forest University School of Medicine.
- 4-Point Thoracic Injury Criteria Development for THOR. Gerald Poplin, Jason Forman, Timothy McMurry, Joseph Ash, Greg Shaw, Jeff Crandall UVA.
- WorldSID Status 50th Male and 5th Female. NHTSA.
SAE Government / Industry Meeting January 2015 Washington, DC, USA
- Structural Design Considerations for a Lightweighted Vehicle to Achieve "Good" Rating In IIHS Small Overlap. Harry Singh EDAG, Inc.
- Oblique Crashes in CIREN. Mark Scarboro USDOT NHTSA.
- An Update About NHTSA's Left and Right Side Impact Oblique Testing Research Program. James Saunders USDOT NHTSA
Collection of Real-World Data
- Evaluation of FMVSS No 301, Fuel System Integrity, as Upgraded in 2005 to 2009. Jia-Ern Pai USDOT NHTSA.
- Lives Saved by Vehicle Safety Technologies and Associated Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, 1960 to 2012. John Kindelberger, USDOT NHTSA.
- The Economic and Societal Impact of Motor Vehicle Crashes, 2010. Lawrence Blincoe USDOT NHTSA.
- Update on NHTSA's Data Modernization Project. Tina Morgan USDOT NHTSA.
- Advanced Adaptive Restraint Program. Bernd Cyliax Takata Corp. James Saunders USDOT NHTSA.
- Rear Seat Occupant Protection: Safety Beyond Seat Belts. Jinwen Hu UMTRI. James Saunders USDOT NHTSA
Automated Vehicles: Design for Functional Safety
- Safety Analysis Approaches for Automatic Electronic Control Systems. QVE Hommes USDOT Volpe.
- Human Factors Design Principles for Level 2 and Level 3 Automation. Myra Blanco CAVS, Paul Rau USDOT NHTSA.
- Evaluation of the NHTSA THOR Finite Element Model. Matthew Panzer UVa, Dan Parent USDOT NHTSA.
- Investigation of Lower Spine Compression Fractures in Frontal Crashes. Rodney Rudd USDOT NHTSA.
- Development of an Older Occupant FE Model Incorporating Geometry, Material Property, and Cortical THickness Variation. Ashley Weaver Wake Forest, Rodney Rudd USDOT NHTSA
- Epidemiological Analysis of Far-side Crashes from Recent NASS-CDS Databases. John Humm MCW, Rodney Rudd USDOT NHTSA.
- Safety In Numbers. Debbie Ascone USDOT NHTSA.
- Communicating Safety in the Digital Age. Lucia Sanchez, James Schulte USDOT NHTSA.
- NHTSA'S Research and Rulemaking Activities. Cristina Echemendia USDOT NHTSA.
Commercial Vehicle Safety
- VTTI Field Study of Heavy Vehicle Collision Avoidance Technologies. Gregory Fitch, et al VTTI
- NHTSA's Automotive Cybersecurity Research. Arthur Carter, Frank Barickman USDOT NHTSA.
- Pedestrian Crash Avoidance Research Program Update. Frank Barickman USDOT NHTSA.
- CAMP - Pedestrian Crash Avoidance / Mitigation Project: Use of Real-World Operation Assessment Data in the Development of PCAM Test Procedures. Michael Carpenter General Motors, Frank Barikman USDOT NHTSA.
Research and Regulation Updates for Electric and Alternative Fuel Vehicles
- Stranded Energy in an Inoperative RESS. Eric Rask Argonne Nat'l Labs, Phil Gorney USDOT NHTSA.
- Li-ion Battery Safety Modeling. John Turner Oak Ridge Nat'l Lab, Phil Gorney USDOT NHTSA.
- Alternative Fuels in CAFE Rulemaking. Greg Powell USDOT NHTSA.
Light Duty Powertrain Technologies and Market Trends
- Regulatory Analysis of Powertrain Technologies: One Pathway for Compliance with CAFE and GHG Emissions Standards. James Tamm USDOT NHTSA.
Heavy and Medium Duty Fuel Efficiency and GHG Standards: Technologies and Policies
- EPA / NHTSA Update on Phase II GHG Rules for Medium and Heavy Duty Vehicles. Matthew Spears US EPA, James Tamm USDOT NHTSA.
Advanced Materials for Boosting Fuel Economy
- Agency Sponsored Mass Reduction Studies for Midterm Review. Cheryl Caffrey US EPA, Lixin Zhao USDOT NHTSA.
SAE Active Safety Symposium November 5, 2015 Plymouth, MI
- Pedestrian Test Mannequins Objective Criteria for Evaluating Repeatability and Accuracy of PCAM Systems. Heath Albrecht, USDOT NHTSA.
- NHTSA's Lateral Deviation Support Test Method Research. Garrick Forkenbrock, USDOT NHTSA
2017 SAE GOVERNMENT / INDUSTRY MEETING
Meeting held January 25-27, 2017 in Washington, DC. Talks covered the following:
- Cyber Security and Privacy
- Light Duty GHG/CAFE
- Advanced Automatic Collision Notification
- Beyond TSCA & Next Steps, Part 2
- Vehicle Technologies to Increase Seat Belt Usage
- Crash Avoidance Technology
- Automated Vehicles
- Commercial Vehicle Safety
2018 SAE GOVERNMENT / INDUSTRY MEETING
Meeting held January 24-26, 2018 in Washington, DC. Talks covered the following:
- Automated Driving Systems, Levels 4 and 5, Deploying Safe Automated Vehicles
- Automated Vehicle Safety, Levels 1, 2, and 3
- Commercial Vehicle Safety
- Connected Vehicles
- Crash Avoidance Technology
- Data Collection - Meeting Future Safety Needs
- Integration of Active and Passive Safety
- Vulnerable Occupants
- Vulnerable Road Users
2019 SAE GOVERNMENT / INDUSTRY MEETING
- Field Study of Light Vehicle Advanced Driving Assistance System (ADAS) Jenny Zhang, USDOT NHTSA
- Partnership for Analytics Research in Traffic Safety (PARTS): Demonstrating the Value of the Partnership Joseph Kolly, USDOT NHTSA, and Tim Czapp, FCA US LLC
- Achieving V2X Interoperability and Security: Results from USDOT's Security Credential Management System Deployment Workshops Robert Kreeb, USDOT NHTSA
- Safety Analysis of Heavy-Duty Truck Platooning Systems Doug Pape, Battelle
- NHTSA’S Motorcycle Helmet Testing Research Program Christian Nguyen, NHTSA
Automated Driving Systems
- NHTSA’s FMVSS Considerations for Vehicles with Automated Driving Systems Lori Summers, USDOT NHTSA
- Driver Engagement with ADS-equipped Vehicles - Part 1 Christian Jerome, PhD, USDOT NHTSA
Advanced Driver Assistance Systems
- Traffic Jam Assist Test Methodology Erin Fogle, Transportation Research Center and Garrick Forkenbrock, USDOT NHTSA
- Test Procedure Verification for Blind Spot Intervention and Oncoming Traffic Safety Assist Taylor Manahan, Transportation Research Center and Garrick Forkenbrock, USDOT NHTSA
- Intersection Safety Assist Research and Testing Ian Davis, Transportation Research Center and Garrick Forkenbrock, USDOT NHTSA
- ATD Seating in Highly Reclined Seats Aloke Prasad, NHTSA
- Human Model Occupant Kinematics in Highly Reclined Seats during Frontal Crashes Kyle Boyle, Jingwen Hu, Lauren Zaseck, Matthew P. Reed, UMTRI-Biosciences
- Effect of Test Setup and Seating Position Varience in Oblique Frontal Offset Tests Rudolf Reichert, George Mason University
- Update on Lower Interior Impacts to Seat Backs and B-pillars Kedryn Wietholter, NHTSA
- Biomechanical Responses and Injury Assessment of PMHS in Rear-facing Seating Configurations Yun-Seok Kang and John H. Bolte, The Ohio State University; Alena Hagedorn, Transportation Research Center; Jason Stammen and Kevin Moorhouse, USDOT NHTSA/VRTC
- Restraint Optimization for Obese Occupants Hamed Joodaki, University of Virginia Center for Applied Biomechanics and Vivek Maripudi, Joyson Safety Systems
- Measuring and Modeling Occupant Responses During Abrupt Vehicle Maneuvers Jingwen Hu, PhD, Byoung-Keon Park, PhD, Matthew P. Reed, PhD, Sheila Ebert, MS, Monica L.H. Jones, PhD, UMTRI Transportation Institute, University of Michigan
2020 SAE GOVERNMENT / INDUSTRY MEETING
- Development & Evaluation of a New Chest Deflection Measurement Sensor for the Large Omnidirectional Child (LODC) ATD Mike Carolson, Brian Suntay, TRC, and Jason Stammen, NHTSA
- Status of NHTSA’s THOR-05F Evaluation Erin Hutter, William Millis, and Kevin Moorhouse, NHTSA and Michelle Murach, and Scott Bazzle, TRC
Connected Vehicles - Communicating with Vehicles
- DSRC and Wi-Fi Baseline Cross-channel Interference Test and Measurement Robert Kreeb, NHTSA
- Status of NHTSA's Roof Ejection Mitigation Test and Measurement Aloke Prasad, NHTSA, and Corinn Pruitt, TRC
- NHTSA's R&R Evaluation of the WorldSID 50th Male ATD Allison Louden, NHTSA, and Josh Hendricks, TRC
Deployment of Automated Driving Systems
- Update on NHTSA Research Activitites and Current Regulatory Agenda related to Automated Driving Systems Ellen Lee, NHTSA
Driver Assistance Technologies
- Exploring the Practical Limits of Multi-Actor Test Track Evaluations Taylor Manahan, TRC, and Garrick Forkenbrock, NHTSA
- Modeled Exploration of Proposed Safety Assessment Metrics for ADS Bowen Weng, Sughosh Rao, Esshan Deosthale, Tim Seitz, TRC, and Scott Schnelle and Frank Barickman, NHTSA
Pedestrians, Bicyclists, Motorcyclists, and Other Vulnerable Road Users
- CIREN Pedestrian Pilot Study Preliminary Cases Rodney Rudd, NHTSA
- Comparison of aPLI and FlexPLI-UBM Advanced Pedestrian Legforms Jason Stammen, NHTSA, Brian Suntay, TRC
Real-World Data Collection
- NHTSA’s Fatality and Injury Reporting System Tool (FIRST), Anders Longthorne, NHTSA
- Real World Data Collection - Data Availability from NHTSA’s Newly Modernized CISS and Special Crash Investigations (SCI) Programs, John Brophy, NHTSA
Rear Seat Safety
- Comparison of Seat Belt Elongation Requirements Corinn Pruitt, TRC and Kedryn Wietholter, NHTSA
- Hybrid III and THOR 50M Responses in the Rear Seat During Frontal Crash Sled Tests Warren Hardy, Andrew Kemper, Allison Guettler and Samuel Bianco, VT Center for Injury Biomechanics and Ellen Lee, NHTSA
Restraint Considerations for Non-Conventional Interiors in Automated Vehicles
- Biomechanical Responses and Injuries of PMHS in Rear Facing Alternative Seating Configurations Yun-Seok Kang, Rakshit Ramachandra, Amanda Agnew, and John Bolte IV, Injury Biomechanics Research Center, and Jason Stammen and Kevin Moorhouse, NHTSA