The agencies and organizations listed below can provide more information on distracted driving and links to numerous other resources.
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration:
o Research and Evaluation – www.nhtsa.gov/behavioral-research
- Distracted Driving – www.nhtsa.gov/risky-driving/distracted-driving
o Behavioral Safety Research Reports – https://rosap.ntl.bts.gov/
o Traffic Safety Marketing – www.trafficsafetymarketing.gov/get-materials/distracted-driving
- Governors Highway Safety Association: www.ghsa.org
- National Safety Council: www.nsc.org/learn/NSC-Initiatives/Pages/distracted-driving.aspxwww.nsc.org/road-safety/tools-resources/infographics/hands-free-is-not-risk-free
- National Conference of State Legislatures: www.ncsl.org/research/transportation/spotlight-distracted-driving
- Insurance Institute for Highway Safety: www.iihs.org
- AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety: www.aaafoundation.org
- Network of Employers for Traffic Safety: https://trafficsafety.org
For overviews of distracted driving prevalence, risks, legislation, research, and recommended strategies, see the following.
- NHTSA’s Understanding the Effects of Distracted Driving and Developing Strategies to Reduce Resulting Deaths and Injuries: A Report to Congress – DOT HS 812 053 (Vegega et al., 2013).
- NHTSA’s Driver Distraction: A Review of the Current State-of-Knowledge – DOT HS 810 787 (Ranney, 2008).
- Overview of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s Driver Distraction Program – DOT HS 811 299 (NHTSA, 2010).
- GHSA’s Distracted Driving: Survey of the States (GHSA, 2013).
- World Health Organization’s Mobile Phone Use: A Growing Problem of Driver Distraction (WHO & NHTSA, 2011).
- NHTSA’s Blueprint for Ending Distracted Driving – DOT HS 811 629 (NHTSA, 2012).
- GDL: Graduated driver licensing, a three-phase system for beginning drivers consisting of a learner’s permit, a provisional license, and a full license. A learner’s permit allows driving only while supervised by a fully licensed driver. A provisional license allows unsupervised driving under certain restrictions.